Friday, August 24, 2007

Tournament Schedules: What has been your experience?

I really want your feedback on this post. How are tournaments done where you live?
I asked to be assigned to a tournament in my area, scheduled for this coming weekend. I received word that I would be working both Saturday and Sunday. Some assignors will ask what days you want to work, others won't. After doing a 2-day tournament in the Spring, I would have liked to avoid the back-to-back days. 2 days in a row is just brutal. Naturally, the forecast for this weekend is HOT!
As is typical, I'll be with a 4-person crew. We will work a single field, all day. Each person will end up doing 6 or 7 games, per day. Usually, the crew members will rotate through being referee and assistant referee. You end up getting every 4th game off to rest or eat and drink. Sometimes, you'll have a member of the crew that does not want to be the referee, so you might end up changing the rotation somewhat.
In examining the schedule, I've also noted the tight scheduling of our field. We have 1 hour slots for each game. Reading the rules, I find that the games are to be 60 minutes. You'll immediately note this allows no time for half-time or the switching of teams between games. We are guaranteed, no matter how we manage our field, to be seriously behind by the afternoon.
All of this leaves me wondering what tournaments are like in other parts of the world. Is everyone working this many games on a tournament weekend? What about game scheduling? Do you normally have enough time for the game or are all tournaments this hectic? Add your comments to this post and let us know! Thanks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the director of a tournament in the midwest. We have about 230 teams each year.

In exchange for working at least 5 games over the two days, we provide a gift in addition to the game fees appropriate for the age level of the game in question.

We use three man crews with the crew working three games consecutively and then getting two games off. The crew is expected to rotate through the center role.

Anonymous said...

Here in Connecticut, the tournaments generally have 50 min games and begin each hour, or 60 min games and begin every 75 min. Ten minute turn-around is not fun - no time to snack, barely enough time to change a shirt.

As a rule, which often has to be bent for practicial purposes, crews are assigned in teams of four and rotate through the positions, with one team member resting in each four-hour block.

Usually you are asked if you want to work a morning shift or afternoon shift of four games,and of course are asked for level of experience etc. Also, some directors will ask if you have a relative playing in the tournament so as not to assign you to those games (or opposite that game if you want to watch your son or daughter).

Bottom line, anywhere you go you are going to have some tournaments that are run better than others.

Alex said...

I have a question about the start of the game. I am reffing my second game on saturday for u8, im grade 8 ref and am curious.
At the beginning, do you line the kids up and check their equipment, toss a coin. only u8. btw
So toss a coin, check equipment, and then what? thanks

Jim said...

Hi Alex, I'm glad you are newly certified. Since there isn't much space here, I'll just point you to a pretty good source for this type of information. Check out http://www.watchandwhistle.org. It gives a great overview of pre-game mechanics, as well as other useful tips. I hope all goes well.

Patrick said...

I am truly enjoying your blog. i am starting at the begining and working my way through. I am a new again ref. I did it when I was young and now I have kids and we are doing it together.

We live in Oregon and tournaments here are limited to 4 games per day unless they are understaffed. Plenty of games for a 40+ father.